Suzuki Method Violin Classes for children ages 3-7
The Pre-Twinkle level (absolute beginner) prepares children with the very basic skills needed to begin violin study. A large emphasis is placed on listening, posture, instrument/bow hold, ear training and focus.
The PT (Pre-Twinkle) level is broken down into 4 units. On average, it takes 3 months to complete one unit and ultimately one year to complete the PT level. After completing all of the PT material, PT students move to the Twinkle level to learn the Twinkle variations from Suzuki book 1.
Pre-Twinkle classes are partner classes. We call each group a “pod”.
- Your child will be paired with one or two other children. Maximum class size is 3 children. Children may enroll as individual pre-twinkle students of a group cannot be formed.
- Pods are scheduled by age at the time of registration and schedule availability. Once in a pod you will meet weekly at the same day and time for the duration of the quarter. If all families are in agreement, we will continue with the same day/time from quarter to quarter.
- Children are divided into the 3-5 age group and the 6-7 age group.
- You will indicate your availability on the registration form.
- Classes are held Monday through Friday.
- Classes are scheduled between 10:30am and 7pm.
Partner classes: Combination of group and individual instruction.
- Some weeks will be a group format to indtroduce new concepts to all children.
- Other weeks will be individual focused. Each child will receive individual instruction while classmates observe the lesson.
Parental involvement is a tenent of the Suzuki Philosophy. Parent attendance is required.
- Parents observe the lessons and take notes and serve as the practice partner.
- Parents are provided with an online practice guide. This includes recordings and words to songs so that you don’t have to try to remember them or scramble to write everything down at the lesson.
- Emailed newsletters provide support, parent education and practice tips.
- Parent education is provided to help with note taking and understanding the Suzuki Philosophy.
You will need to spend time outside of the lesson for practice.
- Home practice sessions last 5-15 minutes depending on the child’s ability to focus.
- Families generally allow for 3-5 days per week in the schedule for practice.
New Partner sessions begin each quarter: September, December, March and June.
- Registration opens one month before a new quarter begins. Quarters are 11 weeks long.
- We meet for 30 minutes, weekly. Consult the studio calendar for breaks/closings.
- Families may enroll after the registration deadline as individual pre-twinkle students. Individual pre-twinkle tuition is $208 for the full quarter but will be prorated based on when you begin.
Tuition is $104 per child, for the 11 week quarter.
- No refunds, credits or make-ups for missed classes or withdrawals from the program.
- Tuition maybe paid in cash or check made out to Westminster Suzuki Strings.
- If paying by square the total is $107.79 due to the electronic processing fee. Invoices for square payments are emailed.
- If payment is not received by the due date, a square invoice will be emailed.
- You will need to rent an instrument by the second class. Do not acquire an instrument prior to the first class, children will be sized at the first class. Rentals are usually $20-$25 per month.
- A composition notebook is recommended for note taking.
- A 3×5 index card holder for flashcards.
- Pre-Twinkle students will be provided with a set of flashcards for home practice. Replacements for missing or damaged cards will not be supplied so it’s important to keep them in something protective. If you need new flashcards you will need to purchase a deck. Decks are available for $26.25 (before shipping) and take 2-3 weeks to arrive.
- Recordings to Suzuki violin book 1.
- You are welcome to take photos and videos for reference. However, let’s respect everyone’s privacy-don’t post photos/videos of other people without their permission.
Children are expected to be respectful and cooperative during classes. If a child’s behavior subtracts from the overall group experience, the family will be asked to attend as an individual pre-twinkle student. Tuition for the individual pre-twinkle program is $208 per quarter. If you are asked to make the switch mid quarter, additional tuition will be owed and prorated.